Wednesday, March 9, 2011


Today was the day! Carson went in to have his tonsils and adenoids out. We had to check in to the hospital at 6:30 a.m. He woke up in a great mood. We had talked quite a bit about what would happen today so he was really excited for his bed that would go up and down. Here he is with Jack getting his hopital pajamas and socks on.

The nurses were great with him. He wasn't very chatting with them. Here he is getting his blood pressure taken.

So after this we waited till it was his turn. He really thought his bed was great. He watched cartoons and played rock, paper, scissors, with Jack and got a blessing. So around 8 they came in and gave him some tylenol and his loopy medicine and he got to go for a ride to the surgical holding area.

Here he is after his ride and his meds had kicked in full gear. I have to say Jack and I giggled quite a bit at him. He wanted to keep sitting up but would tip over so we each stood on either side of him so he wouldn't hit his head on the rails. The anethesia man talked to us and gave him a strawberry flavored gas mask and away he went. I fed Brody and about 10 mins later Dr. Hanks came in and talked to us. Told us everything had gone great and that his adenoids were HUGE! He said they took him to 1st recovery for about 45 mins and then he would wake up and we could be with him. So Jack went and got us some breakfast. They came and got us even before he was done and took us to his recovery room. That was the hard part. He was crying and didn't know what was fully going on. He apparantly had a TON of air in his belly and was feeling sick from that. I couldn't get him to settle down in his bed so the nurse let me rock him and I fed him a few bites of a popsicle before he fell asleep. Here is the part where mom cried. I felt so horrible for him. He had a bit of a hard time keeping his oxygen levels up so he did have some oxygen for awhile but when he woke up again he was great. His breath smells burned so he can't get enough popsicles.

Here he is in his wheel chair all ready to go home. We stopped at Walmart and picked up TONS of popsicles, jello, and pudding on the way home. Along with Walgreens for Antibiotics and pain meds. I am keeping him on the pain meds all day in hopes of keeping him comfortable. He has just been sitting on the couch watching movies with his siblings. I can't even get him to take a nap, though I can tell he is exhauted. He has a follow up with Dr. Hanks in a week and a half, until then I am supposed to keep him "down" as much as possible. Yikes!

1 comment:

  1. what a trooper! I am sure I would have cried when they took him back for the surgery and after. I hate to see my kids in pain. He is so cute in the wheel chair.